Port Jefferson Surgery Center strives to provide you with compassionate care. Our professional nursing staff assesses your physical condition prior to and immediately following surgery. They intervene as necessary to advance your recovery progress and assist with preparations for your safe discharge home.
Our discharge plans include the following elements:
- Verifying you have a person designated as your caretaker who will attend to your care at home.
- Assessing your physical condition for the duration of stay in our post-anesthesia recovery area.
- Providing medication during your care to address pain, nausea, or other ailments as needed.
- Ensuring your physical condition meets required criteria for a safe discharge home.
- Verifying your newly prescribed medications have been obtained for pain management, with instruction on how to best manage your pain.
- Reviewing your prescription medications and advising when to resume.
- Instructing your designated caretaker on how to best attend to your post-procedure needs at home, including comfort measures, wound care, ambulation, food intake, showering, and other, as prescribed by your surgeon.
- Conveying contact information for your physician or the nearest emergency department.
Our clinical staff is highly proficient in identifying and caring for patients’ needs prior to discharge. However, if you have any questions or concerns about our discharge processes, please contact our Lead Nurse at 631-828-5555.
During your care at our ASC, should you experience unexpected changes in your physical condition which requires an emergency transfer to a local hospital, your physician will be notified, and hospital admission will be arranged. You and your chosen support person will be kept informed of events leading up to the decision for transfer.